The first jail in Cayuga County was established in 1796 by Hugh Buckley though it wasn’t authorized as a jail until March 25, 1800.
From the 19th century and into the 21st century, the Cayuga County Jail has evolved into a Correctional Facility of modern design, utilizing modern techniques and standards in order to provide a safe and secure environment for the inmates, staff and residents of Cayuga County.
The Cayuga County Jail is managed under the statutory authority of the Cayuga County Sheriff and operated by the members of the Custody Division. Members of the Custody Division are well-trained professionals qualified under the laws prescribed by the State of New York. The personnel is comprised of one Jail Administrator, one Captain, one Lieutenant, seven Sergeants, nine Corporals, seventy-eight Custody Officers, four nurses and a cook.
Today, the Cayuga County Jail is a direct-supervision, maximum-security 214 bed facility with state-of-the-art technology. Inmates housed within the facility fall under the following legal statuses: pre-trial, sentenced to a term of imprisonment or convicted of a crime and waiting sentence. Also managed are parole violators and those inmates awaiting transfer to the New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision.
In addition to those inmates committed to the custody of the Cayuga County Sheriff by the courts within Cayuga County, inmates are incarcerated from other jurisdictions including the United States Marshal Service, United States Federal Bureau of Prisons and the Divisions of the United States Department of Homeland Security which Include U.S. Border Patrol and U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement.